Type Approval Services
- Type approval for telecom devices
- Dealer registration
- Custom clearance
- SIM Card point of sale registration
Type Approval is the term for the process of determining and registering the kind of equipment that can be brought and used in UAE without causing interference or long or short-term damage to the network.
Type Approval is the requirement for Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment (RTTE) to comply with specific technical standards. Such equipment must be registered with TDRA before it can be used, sold or distributed in the UAE.
Dealers, importers and manufacturers of RTTE in the UAE should be registered with TDRA. The Dealer Registration system is separate from, and complementary to, the Type Approval System for RTTE.
Every dealer, importer and manufacturer of RTTE in the UAE should ensure that:
- The company is registered with TDRA
- Type approval is obtained from TDRA for utilization in the UAE.
SIM Card point of sale registration
TDRA shall establish and manage the registry of the SIM Cards points of sale. This Policy applies to all economic entities that sell or plans to start selling SIM Cards in the UAE. The licensees’ points of sale are excluded from this Policy.
The main objective of this project is to facilitate and regulate the competition in the sale of mobile SIM cards, as well as to develop legal frameworks and trade rules in relation to selling SIM cards through points of sale registered by TDRA. Moreover, it aims to protect the rights of customers and economic establishments in the country. The project identifies the duties and responsibilities of all parties involved in the process of SIM cards sale including the authorized entities to practice this activity, the registered economic establishments and entities that provide the license to the Points of Sale registering entity.
The implementation of this Policy depends on the adherence of the economic entity to; first issuing the business license to practice the particular economic activity related to selling SIM Cards from the business licensing entities in the Country, then registering with TDRA as a SIM Cards point of sale in the UAE before initiating the actual sale process.
The registration certificate issued by TDRA and the business license issued by the economic licensing entities are the main requirements for registering as an authorized point of sale for the licensees.
The TDRA will provide special stickers after the registration to be placed on the shops, allowing customers to identify them
SIM Cards point of sale registration policy
Custom clearance requests can be:
- Commercial / for manufacturers and importers of telecom devices for purposes of trading in the UAE
- Non-commercial / all telecom devices imported for events, exhibitions, temporary, personal, etc.
Registration for this service requires:
- For non-commercial: device should comply with TDRA technical specifications.
- For commercial: company should be registered with TDRA / device also approved by TDRA.
The regulations require radio equipment and telecommunications terminal equipment (RTTE) to comply with relevant technical specifications and to be registered with the TDRA before it can be supplied in the UAE.
Technical specifications available here
Early Warning System for Mobile Phones
The National Emergency and Crisis Disasters Management Authority (NCEMA) has launched the Early Warning System for Mobile Phones in coordination with The Telecommunications and Digital Government Regulatory Authority – TDRA. The project aims to create new channels of communication with mobile users in emergencies and crises that contribute to speeding up communication and spreading warnings to face risks and save lives and properties as soon as possible.
The Telecommunications and Digital Government Regulatory Authority (TDRA) has issued the technical specifications for the Early Warning System Project, which reflect all the technical and behavioral requirements of the mobile phone to be able to receive national warnings. All mobile manufacturers and suppliers in the United Arab Emirates must implement all the requirements to have final approval to introduce and sell the phone in the country markets.
Technical specifications for early warning feature for mobile phones includes:
All mobile phone manufacturers must comply with the published technical specifications adopted by TDRA for the provision of the early warning system feature of mobile phones, which is considered a main requirement to complete the technical approval of mobile phones.
From which laboratory the TDRA approve technical test reports of telecommunication equipment approve?
TRA shall approve technical test reports of telecommunication equipment from laboratories with international accreditation in the relevant telecommunications field(s), which has(have) certified testing facilities in accordance with ISO/IEC 17025 in the relevant telecommunications field(s) by an accreditation body that serves as a member of the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC). The accreditation shall be relevant to the types of telecommunications equipment and technical systems in question.
· TRA shall also approve technical test reports of telecommunications equipment under a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) to submit test reports in accordance with TRA’s Type Approval Regime for the relevant types of telecommunications equipment.
How can the UAE-based registered manufacturer and importer of telecommunications equipment offer a pre-approved telecommunications equipment ?
- Obtaining a direct delegation of another manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment.
- Obtaining a separate approval under his responsibility.
How many samples does the registered manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment submit?
Samples submitted shall be of two versions:
- A version enabled and prepared for technical testing;
- A version of the equipment intended to be offered on the market – the commercial version.
Is there any fees to cancel the certificate of telecommunications equipment manufacturers and suppliers ?
If a Type Approval certificate cancellation is requested, no additional costs shall be incurred, and the remaining fees amount for issuing the Type Approval certificate shall not be returned for the remaining years.
- Custom Release for Commercial Purposes
- Temporary Custom Release Permit
- Custom Release Permit for Telecommunications Equipment Imported for Personal Use (non-commercial)
- Permanent Custom Release Permit
- General description of the equipment, including photographs or illustrations showing external features, marking, internal layout, basic technical characteristics, user information and installation instructions.
- Copy of the Supplier’s Declaration of Conformity.
Each telecommunications equipment type shall be assigned a compliance level in the Type Approval Regime, which includes three main levels defined by elements directly affecting the Type Approval Regime objectives. Most importantly, the classification of telecommunication equipment risk level on the user and telecommunications networks, the core purpose for which the equipment is designed, and its technical capabilities.
What if the branch trade license is issued by a different Trade License Issuer, and without taking into consideration the location of the parent company or branch?
What if the telecommunication equipment doesn't conform to health and safety standards and pose a risk to the safety users?
What if the telecommunications equipment is not compliant with the Type Approval Regime requirements ?
TRA shall approve technical test reports of telecommunication equipment from laboratories with international accreditation in the relevant telecommunications field(s), which has(have) certified testing facilities in accordance with ISO/IEC 17025 in the relevant telecommunications field(s) by an accreditation body that serves as a member of the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC).
What is the Basic Provisions for Permanent Custom Release Permit for Registered Telecommunications Equipment ?
- A permanent custom release Permit shall be issued to a registered manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment with no criminal record or corrective measures that have been taken against him for at least two years.
- A permanent custom release permit shall have the same validity period as the equipment Type Approval registration.
- A permanent custom release permit may be terminated by TRA in case of legal violations on the part of the registered telecommunications equipment manufacturer or importer.
What is the Custom Release Permit for Telecommunications Equipment Imported for Personal Use (non-commercial) ?
A legal agreement to delegate the powers of the telecommunications equipment Type Approval certificate from a registered telecommunications manufacturer or importer to another located in the UAE. Both parties shall be required to accept the Delegation of Telecommunications Equipment Approval, by which, the manufacturer or importer accepts the obligations identified by TRA.
Any registered manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment may terminate the Delegation of Telecommunications Equipment Approval by notice of at least 15 working days addressed to the other party. The registered telecommunications equipment manufacturer or importer that accepts the delegation of Type Approval shall verify the requirements imposed on the telecommunications equipment before it is offered and sold in the UAE market.
TRA may perform market monitoring activities from time to time and the registered manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment must cooperate in such activities and provide samples and documentation on request without charge to TRA for purposes of testing and conformity.
TRA is legally eligible to obtain necessary technical information from the registered manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment to verify conformity with the essential requirements and technical standards. In this respect, TRA has a duty to respect confidentiality.
Market monitoring activities may arise as a result of a complaint or random check or as part of a systematic program. TRA may also inspect telecommunications equipment put on the market.
A manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment registered in the UAE shall, on request, provide TRA with information about any manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment whom he has supplied with telecommunications equipment, and any manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment whom have supplied him with telecommunications equipment.
In the event of continued non-conformity and violation of the requirements of the Type Approval Regime, the TRA shall take all appropriate measures to prevent or prohibit the availability of the respective telecommunications equipment in the market or to ensure that it is withdrawn/retrieved from the market.
TRA shall rely on Type Approval certificates issued by other entities approved based on the following:
- Must be identified under an MRA to certify the relevant types of telecommunications equipment in accordance with TRA’s Type Approval Regime.
- Must be accredited in accordance with ISO/IEC 17065 in the relevant areas of telecommunications by an accreditation body, who is a member of the IAF Association; the accreditation shall be relevant to the equipment types and technical systems for which recognition is sought.
What is the penalties of the TDRA against the telecommunications equipment manufacturer or importer that does not fulfill the requirements of the Type Approval Regime ?
TRA may take necessary legal measures against a telecommunications equipment manufacturer or importer that does not fulfill the requirements of the Type Approval Regime in accordance with Federal Law by Decree No. 3 of 2003 regarding the Regulation of the Telecommunications Sector, its Executive Order or any decisions and regulations issued by TRA from time to time. The TRA shall impose, for example but not limited to, the following measures:
- Suspension of the Type Approval certificate granted to a registered manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment.
- Cancellation of the Type Approval certificate granted to a registered manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment.
The manufacture, use, offer, sale, supply or use of prohibited telecommunications equipment in the UAE shall be forbidden. Such equipment has been listed in details in a separate document as part of the specific reference documents.
- GSM Jammers
- GSM Boosters
- Scanning receivers
- Military Communication equipment
All equipment, which are not complied with UAE, approved telecom technical standards.
The importer must provide the required documents, including the documents mentioned below and any other document requested by TRA:
- A letter from the organizer or in case of exhibitions and events, explaining the purpose for which the telecommunications equipment is imported and the period required.
- Technical documentation of telecommunications equipment
the registered manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment provides :
- proof of conformity with the technical standards and essential requirements on the basis of:
- Submitting test reports issued by a recognized test labs (International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC).
- Performing additional technical tests at the telecom equipment National Lab.
- The manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment shall provide a sample of the telecommunications equipment to be approved under this level as part of the mandatory Type Approval requirements.
where the registered manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment provides:
- proof of conformity with the technical standards
- essential requirements by submitting technical test reports issued by an ILAC-certified lab.
what is the requirement if the registered manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment made any change modification on his telecommunication equipment?
The registered manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment must notify TRA of any modifications, which would:
- Affect equipment conformity with the essential requirements or technical standards;
- Change equipment size and shape;
- Change equipment model number or brand name.
In the case of any modification to the registered equipment that may affect its conformity with the Type Approval Regime essential requirements or approved technical standards, the registered manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment must submit a new Type Approval request.
What is the requirement shall the applicant provide for Custom Release Permit for Telecommunications Equipment Imported for Personal Use (non-commercial) ?
The applicant shall provide shipment details and technical documentation of telecommunications equipment when requested.
Technical standards listed in the SDoC remain unchanged;
- The equipment has not been affected by any modifications as defined in paragraph 4.4.
The registered manufacturer or importer of telecommunications equipment shall provide the TRA Declaration of Conformity Card (Type Approval Regime Conformity Mark) on the equipment box in a clear, readable and non-removable format before offering, selling or making the equipment available in the UAE market. The TRA Declaration of Conformity Card shall be placed under the display platform of telecommunications equipment in retail stores in a way that is clear and readable to users.
- Products shall contain a product statement card as specified above.
- The tag can be marked using black and white colors.
- The QR code shall contain the basic information shown in the middle box.
This permit shall be issued for the release of telecommunications equipment imported for temporary purposes, including but not limited to: Exhibitions, trials or for repair purposes, and shall be exported outside the UAE after the expiry of the period provided for in the permit.
In accordance with the custom release permit for temporary admission of telecommunications equipment in the UAE, the importer shall not be required to be registered or to obtain the telecommunications equipment Type Approval by TRA. However, this equipment shall be prohibited to be offered or sold in the UAE market.
This level shall apply to telecommunications equipment of high risk and priority called ‘’ Advance Equipment Registration’’
Some wireless telecommunications equipment require authorization from TRA to use frequency spectrum in the UAE. This authorization shall be independent of the Type Approval Regime.
· Authorization requirements may change from time to time, and applicants are advised to consult the Spectrum Management Affairs Department. The operation of the relevant wireless telecommunications equipment without authorization shall be considered a violation of the Telecommunications Law.
When the Manufacturers and dealers of telecommunications equipment can apply for the renewal of a telecommunications equipment?
When the manufacturers and suppliers can apply for renewal of the telecommunications equipment Type Approval certificate ?
Telecommunications equipment for personal use or temporarily entered shall be exempted from Type Approval requirements. In addition, telecommunications equipment transferred for the purpose of examination, certification or approval or pre-production units, which are considered in the manufacturing stage, shall be exempted. The exemption shall also extend to telecommunications equipment offered or operated under restricted conditions in trade exhibitions.
· Imported telecommunications equipment for commercial purposes or personal use shall not be exempted from compliance with mandatory technical standards in order to achieve the main objectives of the Type Approval Regime.
· A user of telecommunications equipment exempted as per the Type Approval Regime shall not be exempted from obtaining additional licenses required for the use and compliance with the additional requirements. Exemption from telecommunications equipment Type Approval shall not be considered an exemption from other licenses.
· TRA may issue an exception to the implementation of Type Approval requirements for specific types of telecommunications equipment by a separate decision.
A registered telecommunications equipment manufacturer or importer registered in the UAE, holding a Type Approval certificate for the concerned equipment or has a delegation from another manufacturer or importer of telecommunication equipment.
The custom release permit shall be issued by TRA for each shipment of telecommunications equipment based on the evaluation of each application. The importer shall attach the required custom release documents upon request.
service may be requested by :
- Individuals who are interested in importing telecommunications equipment for personal use.
- Manufacturers and suppliers of telecommunications equipment in the UAE registered with TRA.
- International and local companies attending exhibitions in the UAE
Telecommunication Dealers who want to enter equipment to UAE must apply for custom clearance approval from TRA, they will get letter from TRA to custom after TRA check about equipment.
Note: Before bringing any Telecommunication equipment, Dealer must be registered with TRA and applied for Type Approval.
Natural or legal persons, who import, assemble or manufacture telecommunications equipment for non-commercial or personal use are exempted from telecommunication equipment Type Approval procedures.
· Government entities and public network operators shall be exempted from telecommunications equipment approval process. However, they shall not be exempted from such procedure if they launch and offer the equipment on the market.
Type approval relies in large part on the identification and registration of devices that can be used in the UAE without causing interference or damage to the telecom networks.Find here a list of the approved devices in the UAE, updated automatically every 24 hours, Click here